Monday, March 2, 2015

Review: Demonfire by Kate Douglas

Recently I decided to go through my TBR stack (more like shelf) beside my bed. I found historicals, paranormals, a sci-fi and a few off the wall stories I don't think fit into a genre. After narrowing down the stack I picked up Demonfire by Kate Douglas. The demon theme is always fun for me. I never know exactly what I'm going to get.

In Demonfire I found a fantasy style story that had me pulling an all nighter.

6878812Demonfire blurb:

Since time began, the Earth has served as a balance between the world of darkness that is the Abyss, and the paradise known as Eden. Now the battle between good and evil has reached a tipping point, and survival depends on one fallen demon--and the woman he can't resist. . .


Along with this short blurb that had me wondering if I was going to see angels there are a few quotes from other authors on the back of the book.Normally I skip past the quotes and try to judge a book based on what I read, but these quotes were right on point.

The story starts with our hero, Dax, is in the middle of an attack. The writing left me wondering what type of demonic creature was torturing him. Then Eddy, the leading lady, takes over and appears to reveal that the demonic thing is in fact a garden gnome. (I personally see these things as evil little statues that stare at people.) Eddy dispatches the gnome and is surprised to see she and her trusty dog have rescued a naked man with a large snake tattoo winding it's way up the man's body.

The garden gnome really set the tone for the story. Evil demonic things in mundane objects. Dax and Eddy quickly set up a war party to defeat the influx of demons and even though Dax himself is a banished demon trying to make his way into Eden, Eddy finds herself trusting him after he saves her from a number of attacks. The war party at this point also includes the trusty dog and a little wile-o-the-wisp, Willow.

Right away it starts reading like a really good modern fantasy with hints of both the hero's journey and the heroin's journey. Dax has gone through this life changing event that has him searching for redemption and Eddy is forced to see the truth of myths and legends that her father is always talking about. Beyond this they both have immediate attraction that really is blazing.


The characters are very well developed and I found myself caring about them and their relationship very quickly. The weaving of their love into the story was well done. Instead of feeling rushed to add intimacy, the story read smoothly. The interactions between the leading characters and the side characters was well developed and touching.

The plot, while not a new idea, was great. The idea of good and evil fighting is a story we all know and Kate Douglas did a great job putting her own twist to the tale. All in all I'd say this is a great read for any one who loves fantasy style stories with a loving romance interwoven.


No comments:

Post a Comment