Tuesday, January 9, 2018

My Origin Story

 So I joined a great group recently. The DIY MRA Book Club. I've been wondering around the DIYMFA website for a while and when the chance for this Book Club came up I felt it could help me dedicate more time to my social profiles and to my blog all while working to improve my writing craft.

Anyways, yesterday I received a prompt asking what my origin story is. How did I become a writer?

I've touched on this before, but I'd like to offer a little more to the story.

It all started when I was little. Before I could really write or read I was telling stories. I was four when my little brother was born and I remember sitting with him and "reading" the Mother Goose book to him. I couldn't read the words, but I saw the pictures and created stories around that for him. he would laugh and giggle in his baby way.

By the time I was in school and should have been reading and writing my teachers and parents knew there was a problem, but back then they didn't understand what. Later I would find out I was dyslexic, but that didn't stop my stories. I drew out the adventures of Art Girl and a number of other characters in a really silly comic.

When the school system finally caught up with me and the dyslexia I had already learned to cope with flipped letters and mixed up words. I was reading everything that caught my interest and my story telling had evolved. At that point there was no stopping it. I wanted to be a writer and would face down every challenge that came my way.

My husband and I married almost ten years ago and in a show of support he agreed that I should be a stay at home mom and work on a writing career. At first I freelanced as a writer and honestly still do to help keep the ends tied, but every year I'm able to devote a little more time to my fiction. Today I've written and published five books and have a stack of unfinished and "needs to be polished" stories just waiting for my attention.

And that is my origin story.

Peace and Love!





No comments:

Post a Comment