Thursday, October 12, 2017

Thoughts on Cold and Flu Season

Today I would love it if a friend or family member would show up with a box of tissues, a gallon of orange juice and 2k words written and edited. That would be awesome...

I woke up this morning feeling like someone had taken a hammer to my head and sat a cinder block on my chest. I think it's a cold and I'll be okay in a few days. Colds happen, but it does bring up a topic I don't talk about often.You see, I'm a work at home mom. I don't work outside the house because child care costs are damn high (even though it's barely enough pay for care providers) and finding a first shift job that would let me see to all my daughter's needs is really hard.

Like many authors, fiction writing isn't my only job. I've been known to pick up freelance writing work, graphic design jobs and even the rare editing job. I also have a long list of easy lil earners that I do when I have down time and can't be at my desk. So I'm almost always doing something to pad my income. There is no sick pay, vacation time or health insurance. All of that is on me and I knew what I signed up for.

There are lots of low paying jobs that don't offer those things either, so I know those who work outside the house can understand too. Even when we're sick we have to find a way to work. Which brings to mind all the very real problems of working while you're sick. My brain is muddled and I often have to reread pages and pages of writing over and over, because sometimes the words get muddled too.

Before my daughter came along I worked in retail. Going in to work with money while dealing with being sick was not fun. Those were the days I double and triple counted the money to make sure the drawer wouldn't end up short. It was a nightmare.

So to the point. If you have a friend or family member who isn't sick enough to have to stay in bed (or have the luxury of staying in bed), that doesn't mean they aren't suffering. They're probably trying their best to work. With cold and flu season fast approaching remember them my lovely readers. Hand them an orange juice or pick up that pair of socks that was left on the floor.

Well, those are my thoughts for the day.

Peace and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment