Wednesday, November 2, 2016

NaNoWriMo: And So It Begins

NaNoWriMo 2016 Participant FlairYesterday was the official start of NaNoWriMo and so let the race to 50k begin!

And so I have. Yesterday I got just under 2k words typed into my WIP, Whispering Winds. Most of that was even for the beginning of the story. I'm going to try and avoid skipping around through scenes, but I know it'll happen anyway.

This year my story is completely new. The idea began last year when I was working a second job in a gas station. The place was haunted, I swear, and gave me the eerie feeling that made me wonder about how a ghost romance would work. I tucked it away and jotted down notes here and there while I focused on my other works. When I missed the Camps I knew I was going to take the big dive into November and this story poked it's head up from the haze. I spent October doing research and loose plotting.

I use images a lot to help inspire my muse. Finding images for a ghost story romance is harder than I thought, but I did manage to find a few things that speak to the story. The one below I'm using as the temporary cover for Whispering Winds. I played with it a little, but it has been the closest image I can find that brings to mind two of my main characters.




Every author uses different things to inspire them. Some do all the research, character building and plotting before they write the first word. Others go by the seat of their pants and just start writing, more than willing to work out the details as they go. I'm somewhere in between. I do a lot of research and get to know my characters before writing most of the time, but it's during the writing that I learn their quirks. That can lead to a bit of a fight as I'm writing, but it's a nice surprise too.


That's it for now.

Peace and Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment